Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog. I've been getting some thoughts & feelings, exasperations and the odd happy moment down on the blog which helps my sanity and, I hope, provides a little entertaining read for you for a couple of minutes!

Right now I am mostly concentrating on getting through a rocky financial patch which I really hope will be cleared (all being well) by the end of Summer 2013. In the meantime I need to concentrate on continuing to do well in my "new" job (actually got it in Sept 2011 but it still feels new!) and living my life as frugally as possible.

Thanks for stopping by and if you leave me an encouraging comment, it'll make my day. :-)

Saturday 29 June 2013

My Saturday Night - Frugal Style!

Evening to you all, how are you doing on this fine Saturday night?

Well today has been a pretty busy and successful day actually. I have done so much including getting usual professional haircut & colour for £35 and have a brilliant chat with my hairdresser at the same time in the comfort of her lovely home with cups of tea. I so needed that colour today...grey roots or WHAT!

After that bit of pampering I came home and proceeded to get a heap (or three) of laundry done and dried on the line. Clean sheet feeling tonight don't you love it?

I have sold two things on EBAY totalling £26 and the money is in my account already. One thing was bought by someone local so I am dropping it off tomorrow en route to the parcel drop off point for the other. I am sipping wine bought practically for free as I received some vouchers from the Co-Op as I use their card each time we purchase. You can tell I am drinking wine as I cannot quite grasp the word I am looking for here....that word being.....you know, part of a co-operative and receiving a dividend annually based on what you spent. Bah! You know what I mean! I think the key word there was dividend anyway!

I made a very delicious but frugal dinner tonight of mushroom and cashew nut risotto and yes it really was tasty! If you want to know more:

All I did was slice about 100g of mushrooms and toss them in a liberal sprinkling of bottled lemon juice then left them for about 5 minutes whilst I melted two tablespoons of (dairy free) margarine in a saucepan. Fry the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, add 1 x tsp of dried basil and 1 x tbsp of dried parsley, stir through for about 1 minute then spoon into a bowl then set aside.

In the same saucepan, melt some more margarine then fry an onion (or a chopped leek) for 6 minutes over a medium heat. Add the risotto rice (I do 80g per person) and stir through for about 2 mins. Add the mushrooms you set aside earlier and half a cup of dry white wine (I picked up a cheap bottle from Aldi). You can drink the rest whilst cooking!

Allow the wine to absorb then add stock, bit by bit or all at once if you like. I prepare about 500 - 600ml of veggie stock. Keep stirring for about 15-20 minutes, until the rice is cooked. About 5 minutes from the end though, stir in about a cupful of roughly chopped cashew nuts (I just buy the dried ones again from Aldi, about £1 a pack) and a good twist of black pepper. If you eat dairy, you can add in some parmesan at this point and turn off the heat.

Serve! Delicious.

And after dinner I settled back and am watching Chic at Glastonbury on catch up tv (I-Player) and really wish I could get tickets to see them at the O2 in July but it's completely sold out. Freak Out by Chic is the first song I remember dancing to with my big sister back in the 70's as a small young thing and I still love it. Nile Rodgers is still a cool dude and if only I could go out to a club and dance all night to this sort of stuff I would be a very happy person!

Anyway that is my day, it's been busy - how about you??

2 comments:

  1. We stayed up to watch the Rolling Stones - that was my era - they were brilliant but goodness knows how Mick Jagger finds the energy at his age to be dancing round the stage - I was shattered just staying up to watch them and I'm younger than him!- grey roots get me too every 3 months I end up having them done - just wish I had the guts to leave them and just go grey......one day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great night in! Jx

    ReplyDelete