Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog. I've been getting some thoughts & feelings, exasperations and the odd happy moment down on the blog which helps my sanity and, I hope, provides a little entertaining read for you for a couple of minutes!

Right now I am mostly concentrating on getting through a rocky financial patch which I really hope will be cleared (all being well) by the end of Summer 2013. In the meantime I need to concentrate on continuing to do well in my "new" job (actually got it in Sept 2011 but it still feels new!) and living my life as frugally as possible.

Thanks for stopping by and if you leave me an encouraging comment, it'll make my day. :-)

Sunday 4 August 2013

Small Victories

Howdy, how are you?  At the risk of being shouted at for being a misery, I'd like to say I am enjoying the cooler weather this weekend!  It's still mild but the recent high 20's early 30's temperatures just flake me out so I'm enjoying the break from it.

So, small victories.

I have been using a credit card for about the last 2 - 3 years to collect Avios points so I can either collect two free flights to Berlin or two free Eurostar tickets to Lille.  I have never paid a penny interest on this credit card as I have a direct debit to clear the balance at the end of each month.  I use it to purchase  petrol, monthly stock up on vegetarian freezer things, insurances and any other purchases the month calls for and earn some Avios points whilst I am at it.

Recently I had a bad experience with the customer service which was ongoing so I wrote a letter of complaint.  I have now had the matter resolved with a promise of a cheque for £35 to cover inconvenience and phone calls made.  The cheque should arrive shortly I am told.  Small victory one.

I have just about made the 18000 points (it should get to that balance this week or latest next month) so at some point in the next 6 - 12 month I shall have  "free" travel to a place I have never been to before and I shall love it.  I would have bought the things I bought anyway, it feels like a lovely bonus to get something out of it in the long run.  Small victory number two.

Today I banked the final "Sweet Sundays" code needed to claim two free Cineworld tickets - so one Sunday between now and end of November, hubby & I will get an afternoon or evening out watching a film for "free".  Believe me, the chocolate was always going to be eaten anyway...again it's great to get something out of it and as I love days out, nights out or any memorable social experience, the Sweet Sunday campaign was right up my street!  Small victory number three.

I was in London a few weekends ago and weighed myself at a friends house.  Horrified.  Subsequently I have exercised more, signed up with a free calorie counting website (FoodFocus.co.uk) and have been sensible with portion sizes etc.  This morning's weigh in showed I have lost half a stone since that shock!   Small victory number four.  Though that feels like a big victory actually!

EBAY has been good to me recently, I have managed to sell some unwanted or now redundant bits and pieces including an item which went from £2.20 to £21.99 in the last minute yesterday:  I was ecstatic as I would have been happy if it had reached a tenner!  I also managed to get rid of a broken lawnmower for just over £2 rather than having to lug it down the local recycling centre or pay the Council to collect!  Small victory number five.

I have discovered A Girl Called Jack's blog which I love.  She also posts some fabulous recipes for little money outlay which I can't tell you how grateful I am for.  Although we are not in the same position as she was or as a lot of people are unfortunately in now, the grocery bill needs careful monitoring always.  I have so far made the veggie, chickpea & apricot curry which is delicious, the earthy red wine risotto and tonight I am making the kidney bean & cumin burgers.  Wish me luck with the latter!  It's a victory but not a "scoring points" kind of victory - I hope you know what I mean.  But number six victory anyway.  And my heartfelt respect and thanks go out to Jack Monroe.  I have donated some money to the Trussell Trust too.

I have managed to get lots of washing done and dry outside recently and this is really helping with the electricity.  I am £88 in credit with the electric and over £90 in credit with the gas.  Here's hoping that this continues for at least 2 - 3 more months as it will mean not having to use the central heating till late in Autumn or the tumble dryer and that will mean a more comfortable winter if we can have the heating on a bit longer without worrying we'll go into debt for it.

So these are my small victories of the last few weeks.  Have you any to share?



2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post - it's great to read how all your victories have added up. All the best, Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done well. Good for you.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete