Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog. I've been getting some thoughts & feelings, exasperations and the odd happy moment down on the blog which helps my sanity and, I hope, provides a little entertaining read for you for a couple of minutes!

Right now I am mostly concentrating on getting through a rocky financial patch which I really hope will be cleared (all being well) by the end of Summer 2013. In the meantime I need to concentrate on continuing to do well in my "new" job (actually got it in Sept 2011 but it still feels new!) and living my life as frugally as possible.

Thanks for stopping by and if you leave me an encouraging comment, it'll make my day. :-)

Monday 11 February 2013

Let's Hope It Was Just a Bad Day

Evening all,

Well now. Some of you who have been with me for a while will remember how sick of my previous job I was. I used to feel sick driving to work and was thoroughly miserable pretty much from start to finish of every day there.

I had that feeling again today in my "new" job. As the title says, let's just hope it was a bad day, I really really don't want to feel like that again.

When I got this job at the hospital I was thrilled. I was sick of slogging my guts out just to line the pockets of directors and higher management (and shareholders on some occasions) in the private sector. Working in the public sector suits my mindset as ultimately it is the public that my best efforts serve. It is that belief that usually carries me through any bad days.

Today though, it didn't really help and I was sad about that.

I am trying to sort it out in my mind and hopefully you will be able to look at this from outside the circle and I would appreciate your opinion as well should you care to leave a constructive comment.

I had been off for a few days last week on annual leave. I'd had some lovely time out, seeing friends, celebrating hubby's birthday, spending time on the house....just blissful really. I go back today and now other people are off (as it's half term) so we were somewhat short staffed, everything that came in appeared to be "urgent" and even when I was dealing with something urgent I was being plagued by someone (who takes the calls) with a piece of paper in her hand saying there was someone else on the phone chasing up their urgent issue. It was non stop all day and I haven't even had enough time to catch up fully on the emails sent last week to me which is not like me, I am pretty organised and don't usually fall behind on correspondence.

We have two new people on our team who were looking to me all day for advice and assistance (not their fault of course) which is demanding when you're trying to deal with urgent issues and also you don't know everything as you're still learning things yourself!

Communication is a bit crap sometimes within the department which added to frustration today in a certain area (I won't go into details on this). I also found out that tomorrow even more people will be out of the department and I feel I will be pressed further tomorrow to try and cover two roles potentially which is nigh on impossible.

I know I can only do my best but I have been here before with the push push push, squeeze squeeze squeeze and with cuts all over the place, most employers just have the attitude "Well you are lucky to have a job at all so stop moaning!"

I feel somewhat stressed out but I am trying to compartmentalize my life mentally - funnily enough helped tonight at an exercise class held in a school hall! I was looking around and thinking how simple life was (looking back) when I was that age. You got up, you got ready for school. When at school you worked hard in your lesson then it was play time. Then you worked hard again and then it was lunchtime and more play time. Then you worked hard again then you went home.

At home you forgot all about school and played with your friends or enjoyed your toys, crayons, books etc until it was bed time. You just did your stuff in chunks of time and took it for what it was then moved on. Does that make sense? At least that is how it seemed to me or seems to be looking back.

I feel I need to apply this to my life again.

* I get up and get ready for work, taking care to look my best and enjoy a healthy breakfast.
* I arrive at work and in that period of time I am paid for, I do whatever task comes my way (obviously within reason I am not suggesting it is OK for me to start doing work I am not trained for or letting them take the absolute p*ss).
* During my lunch break I should enjoy fresh air and a walk outside and/or a catch up with a friend who I can meet or talking to my work buddy (preferably not about work).
* At my going home time, I need to switch off my work mind at the same time that I switch off my PC and walk out of the building.
* I then should go home and enjoy my free time in whatever way is appropriate i.e. exercise, film & time with hubby, seeing a friend, reading a book, using the Wii or laptop or spending time on my home.
* Get ready for bed at a decent time and sleep well until I arrive back at step 1 again!

It all seems so simple doesn't it?

I don't know why I get so worked up about the time at work...if it is busy and we're short staffed but I am working flat out, I can't clone myself to do more! If I am asked to concentrate on higher priorities and the day to day stuff falls behind (and Management are aware that I am being asked to concentrate on higher priorities) then really, is it not up to Management to step in and sort it out? It is and I have had this conversation with my boss before and he has literally agreed with me that it is not *my* job to worry about it, it is his job to keep an eye on things.

Well I will try not to get too spiky tomorrow (as I was today I confess) as I always work hard and will continue to do so, I can only do my best eh?

I really really hope this was just an off day though!

Goodnight, bye for now. x

3 comments:

  1. I think this is the same situation all over the public sector. I am currently trying to do four jobs because we are not allowed to recruit. When you work with people you don't want to let them down and I think that is what the top management rely on. You sound like you are going about things in a sensible way x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely sympathise... My new year's resolutions were all about keeping work in it's box. That's really hard to do when you're tired AND everyone is trying to score points. Hope today is better. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it was just a bad day and that maybe the sunshine we have will lift your mood. My advice would be to get out, even for a short walk, in the fresh air and sunshine as often as you can manage it. You need some 'me-time' away from the stresses of work and maybe the confidence to tell colleagues that you cannot be bullied into working more than is comfortable.
    Hope you're feeling better today. x

    ReplyDelete